How to obtain the Student ID Card
Erasmus students that want to apply for Student ID Card must go to their faculty Dean's Office (Dziekanat) with their current photograph. The payment for Student ID Card is 22 PLN.
It is best to do this as soon as possible after your arrival to take advantage of many student discounts in Poland.
How to get to Elbląg
By plane: the nearest international airport is located in Gdansk, about 60 km from Elbląg. The following airlines provide service to/from the airport:
- Norwegian Air Shuttle
- Scandinavian Airlines
- Wizz Air
Here is the official website of the airport, where you can find detailed information about transport: http://www.airport.gdansk.pl/
By bus or train:
The website E-PODROZNIK provides information about a large variety of bus companies, their prices and routes. You can also book and buy your tickets online here.
Getting to PWSZ in Elbląg
From the Railway Station, it is about 300 meters to the main building of the University.
Public transport in Elbląg
Cost of tickets in Elbląg for trams and buses:
- single ticket ~ 2.80 PLN/€0.70 (normal fare), 1.40 PLN/€0.35 (reduced fare)
- single ticket bought from the driver ~ 3.00 PLN/€0.7 (normal fare), 1.50 PLN/€0.35 (reduced fare)
- personal ~ 80.00 PLN/€18 (normal fare),40 PLN/€9 (reduced fare)
Typical costs of living in Elbląg:
- accommodation in the students' hall of residence - 330.00 PLN/€77 per month
- private accommodation - 700.00 PLN/€169.27 per month
- dinner in the university canteen - 14.00 PLN/€2.42
- food per month - 500.00 PLN/€117
Approximate food prices:
- milk ~ 2.50PLN/€0.61 /litre
- bread ~ 4.00 PLN/€1 /loaf
- butter ~ 5.00 PLN/€1.20 /200 g
- cheese ~ 24.00 PLN/€5.82 /kg
- meat ~ 15.00 PLN/€3.64 /kg
- eggs ~ 0.60 PLN/€0.15 /each
- apples ~ 3.00 PLN/€0.73 /kg
- potatoes ~ 3.00 PLN/€0.73 /kg
- beer ~ 2.50 PLN/€0.61 /bottle
Smoking and Drugs
Smoking is prohibited in most public places in Poland. All narcotics are strictly prohibited.
The electric current in Poland is 230 volts with a frequency of 50 Hertz. The European standard of double-pronged outlet plugs is used.
Shops are closed on Sundays but some small, local shops should be open.
Polish public holidays
- 1st November - All Saints' Day
- 11th November - Independence Day
- 24th December - 26th December - Christmas
- 1st January - New Year's Day
- 6th January - Epiphany
- March or April - Easter
- 1st May - Labour Day
- 3rd May - Constitution Day
- Thursday in May or June - Feast of Corpus Christi
- 15th August - Assumption Day